Thursday, October 7, 2010

'puh aa duh'

We were riding in the car two nights ago on our way to look at a used wooden playscape we hope to pick up for Lily's 3rd birthday present. Lily was in the back seat playing with a couple of crayons and her Chunky Pad, a thick drawing pad we keep in the car for such occasions. I hear her in the back: "ka..hah...nnn..that is a y!" It definitely got my attention. I asked her if she was sounding out the letters (duh mommy!) and then asked her about the second word. Here's basically how it went down:

Lily: "Mommy, what sound does 'P' make?"
me: puh
Lily (after me asking what sounds the other letters make): "aa duh"
me: "put it all together"
Lily: "puhaaduh"
me: "Lily, you just read that word. Daddy, Lily just read her first word! Lily, you are reading"
Lily (grinning ear to ear, shakes her head yes): "pad!"

She was so excited and I was too. She is at the cusp of the whole world of books opening up to her...what an amazing thing to watch unfold. I hope she gets as much enjoyment out of reading as I do! I wonder what her favorite books will be....

No comments: